Due to economic stress related to the COVID-19 pandemic, many older homeowners and other borrowers have a home mortgage that is currently in forbearance (meaning the duty to make payments has been temporarily suspended). As the forbearance period ends, advocates will have a role in providing assistance to homeowners to help them access and understand the types of mortgage relief that are available to bring their loan current and avoid foreclosure.
This training will share the options that borrowers have for resuming mortgage payments when the forbearance period ends. Presenters will explain the options by loan type and by borrower eligibility, and will share tips on how to learn what type of loan a borrower has and how to request additional information from the loan servicer.
Panelists will discuss:
• Who is eligible for mortgage relief and how to request it;
• What types of mortgage relief are available; and
• Where to find more information to help homeowners avoid foreclosure.
• Andrea Bopp Stark, Staff Attorney, National Consumer Law Center
• Andrew Pizor, Staff Attorney, National Consumer Law Center